NOT SURE WHERE TO START? CHECK OUT MY SIDEBAR ON THE RIGHT FOR SOME TIPS...

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Healthier No-Bake Cookies

I don't post any recipes on my blog unless they have been given a thumbs up from most of my family. Not only did my family really enjoy these, but also my good friend and her 2 year old little boy. These turned out delicious and filling and they were super easy to make. You could even double the batch and freeze them for later...a perfect little healthy snack in between mealtime.

No-Cook Chocolate Chia Crispies
(Green Smoothie Girl 12 Steps to Whole Foods)

1 C Almond Butter (or organic peanut butter)
2/3 C raw honey
1/4 C  chia seeds
1/4 C raw cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa, which is less nutritious)
1/3 C coconut oil
1 Tbsp vanilla
1/4 tsp sea salt
6 C crisped brown rice (in a cereal box at the health food store)

Cream together all the wet ingredients in a large bowl by hand. Add the chia seeds, cacao, and salt and then blend well. Add the crisped rice and stir until evenly mixed. Chill the dough for 1-2 hours, then form into balls and refrigerate until serving.

Just a couple of notes:

*Drink water with these, as chia absorbs up to 10 times its own weight in liquid
*I used Carob powder instead of Cacao (found it at Sunflower Market)
*I also found crisped brown rice cereal at Sunflower Market and Walmart...I only added about 5 1/2 cups. The 2nd time I made it, I blended some of the rice cereal in the blender before adding it to the mix.

No comments: